Name: Patrick McCarthy
Age: 21 (1995)
Location: Waterbury, CT. Born: Ware, MA
Team: Post University, NCAA D2
Jersey Number: 9
1. Favorite Team: Boston Bruins
2. Favorite Player: Nick Boynton
3. Favorite thing about playing hockey: My teammates
4. How long have you had Diabetes: I was diagnosed when I was 6, so 15 years.
5. Worst part about diabetes: When blood sugars interfere with training
6. Favorite Gameday food: Grilled Chicken, Pasta and Spinach
7. Do you wear an insulin pump or pod: I inject with insulin pens. (Humolog and Lantus)
8. How did you pick your jersey number: #9 is a legendary hockey number; who wouldn’t want to wear it? Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard, Chief Johnny Bucyk, the list goes on
9. If you could play hockey with anyone who would it be: I would like to play hockey with Max Domi. We’re both the same age and both are diabetics. I love how he uses his position as a professional to do good work in the name of T1D and although we are at different levels of the game, it would be cool to get to skate with Max. Much respect for him.
10. If you could tell people one thing about Diabetes what would it be: I want people to not let diabetes hold them back. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that you can’t do something because you live with diabetes. It is just one more reason to prove them wrong. Having dreams, setting goals and achieving them tastes that much sweeter when you know that you did it by overcoming obstacles. It takes hard work, but never use diabetes as an excuse to not do what you love.
Also check out Patrick’s profile on Post University’s website! http://www.posteagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8597&path=mhockey